Like many Cliq XT owners (TMO), I got tired of everyone in the world getting a newer OS except me…even the Cliq owners got 2.1 this past month, but Cliq XT didn’t. Yeah, well, enough of that crap. Here’s how I rooted and upgraded my Cliq XT:
1. Root the phone – instructions here
2. Install Recovery image – instructions here
3. Download ROM zip file (leave as ZIP file!) and copy to root of SD card – instructions here
4. Boot the phone into recovery mode (power button + camera button)
5. Backup your current ROM – instructions here
6. Choose *** WIPE ALL *** (very important, this step must be done before the new ROM is loaded or it will continually try to restart itself.
7. Choose Install Zip option and choose the ROM you installed in the sdcard root
8. Choose Reboot system
After restart, was prompted to set up MotoBlur. Chose existing account, entered creds, and it said there was a problem with the clock, to contact customer support.
Restored backed up ROM and tried again, making sure to *** WIPE ALL ***, and it worked! There are many Cliq XT ROMs available, and not all work the same. I tried the Froyo build and it wouldn’t load properly. I reloaded the 2.1 build and it worked fine, so I’m sticking with that one for now.
If you have a better way or have questions please add comments!
UPDATE 12/31/2010: If you use the Adlx 2.1 ROM, there’s a known issue with the need to toggle the speakerphone on incoming calls. This is fixed by applying the patch found here. Follow these instructions to apply the patch:
1. Copy the AdlxMod2.1.54-SpeakerFIX.zip file to your /sdcard root.
2. Boot the phone in recovery mode
3. Backup your current ROM
4. Install the AdlxMod2.1.54-SpeakerFIX.zip file (DO NOT WIPE!)
5. Reboot the phone when it’s finished.
I did this this morning and the speakerphone was successfully fixed. Enjoy!
I was working on a rather lengthy query that used a typical CASE WHEN THEN ELSE END sequence, but it kept telling me “Case expressions may only be nested to level 10”, even though I wasn’t nesting or doing something unique with them, just like this:
when field1 = ‘data’ then ‘data1’
when field1 = ‘datax’ then ‘data2’
when field1 = ‘datay’ then ‘data3’
when field1 = ‘dataz’ then ‘data4’
when field1 = ‘dataa’ then ‘data5’
when field1 = ‘datab’ then ‘data6’
when field1 = ‘datab’ then ‘data7’
when field1 = ‘datad’ then ‘data8’
when field1 = ‘datae’ then ‘data9’
when field1 = ‘dataf’ then ‘data0’
when field1 = ‘datag’ then ‘data00’
when field1 = ‘datah’ then ‘data000’
end as new_field
But it still would give me the error. After reading around and thinking about the query as a whole, it turns out the reason why it barks about a maximum of 10 statements is because there was a primary call to a linked server. Normally, you can put as many WHEN THEN statements in a CASE, but apparently when there’s a linked server involved, the max is 10. In this one, this CASE statement was one of the selection criteria and the table.field it was looking at was on the same database, but the main FROM DATABASE.TABLE of the query was the linked server, which is what was causing all the problem. Looks like I’ll have to either create a temp table and read from that, or add that table to my SSIS packages each day!
Most useful here is subjective, but here is a quick way to create your own quick listing of common Windows 7 settings, including shortcuts, links to Control Panel items, etc. It’s definitely not an all-inclusive list, but it works, and it’s pretty cool.
Create a folder somewhere (desktop preferably until you see what it does). Right-click and rename the folder
Note the period between and the unique identifier – very important! “Name of your choice” can be anything you want. Hit enter and voila! If anyone can explain this further feel free, but to me it just looks like a shortcut to a grouped list view of common settings.
Here I was, banging my head into the proverbial wall over why in MOSS 2007 I was able to use a service account with read permissions to Active Directory, but when setting up SharePoint 2010’s User Profile Import to AD it kept breaking. Then I stumbled across this article. So I contacted out Network guys, who created a service account with permissions as indicated in this KB article:
And lo and behold, all problems are solved! SharePoint 2010 now imports user profiles from Active Directory without issues!
Those of us from MOSS 2007 remember the warmup script – an essential part of MOSS to eliminate the initial page load time as a result of JIT compiling. It would hit the page for you to build the JIT, which would allow all subsequent visits to the site(s) to load quickly as expected. Well, that doesn’t work in SharePoint 2010….but this does!
SP 2010 Warmup Script
For me, I didn’t see a huge improvement like I did when I ran the warmup script in MOSS 2007, but a 30 second wait is better than a 2 minute wait in SP 2010. Give it a try and see if it works better for you.